Thursday, October 31, 2019

EPIC 2015

EPIC 2015 was a video that talked about the death of newspapers. The movie was science-fiction and the objective was to point out how the world wide web is going to kill off newspapers. As I was watching the video I thought about the last time that I actually picked up a newspaper and read it. It has been so long that I honestly cannot answer that question. I remember growing up and before I went into my house I would see so many newspapers in front of my house and throughout the neighborhood. As I think about it now, I realize that everyday I see less newspapers present because if I am interested in a certain topic, my first thought is to look online, not newspapers. For example, real estate no longer advertises in newspapers because of the world wide web. Where do you go when you are looking for a new house? Online websites like Zillow or Redfin. This is essentially what EPIC 2015 is trying to get us to understand. The beginning of the video states, “It is the best of times, it is the worst of times.” I believe that they say this to emphasize the growth of the world wide web and all its achievements, but as well to show it’s detrimental effects on newspapers. Additionally, some information told in the video were simply just true. News is trivialized. People only hear and see what they choose and want to while ignoring what they simply do not like. All in all, I found EPIC 2015 to be very eye opening and reflective.

No comments:

Post a Comment