Monday, November 4, 2019

A Visit from Brian Forth

Brian Forth is currently a CEO of a site crafting company and he works with 42 other people, he was a former fifth grade teacher and often trained kids on how to build websites. It was interesting to learn about his career and what he enjoys most about his job. One of the first things that Brian said to us that stuck out to me was, “The only constant is change.” Brian was talking about how his company had to constantly adapt and transition to new things happening involving the world wide web. Additionally, Brian mentioned how one of our world’s biggest issues as a society is data security. He asked us if we own or our own data or does Facebook own it? Instagram? Twitter? Snapchat? This got me thinking. Thinking about the very first day of class when Professor Fry told us that today is the most privacy that we will ever have. Anytime I go on any of my social media accounts, I make the decision to put my information out to the world and am essentially giving away the right to my data. This can actually be pretty scary when you think about it and I think that was what Brian Forth was trying to get us to understand. “If the product is free, then you are the product.” As a society we put our trust into these mobile applications, but do not realize the possible consequences. During class discussion we talked about how sometimes when making purchases online we hesitate to input our card information because once we do that, it is automatically saved and now your money could be at risk. These are all important things to consider when discussing the world wide web and I am glad that Brian Forth made me realize this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment